I like the idea of puzzle toys for dogs, because they are good for your dog’s brain, but they’re all so expensive. A few months ago I saw a post online featuring a DIY puzzle toy using a muffin tin and some tennis balls.
I slightly modified the idea and I made two puzzle toys for Gabi using an egg carton, a mini muffin tin a toilet roll and some dog toys.
- An egg carton or old muffin tin . This is the base.
- Tennis balls, dog toys or other items (eg toilet rolls) to cover the holes.
- Pieces of treats that tour dog enjoys. (For the egg carton use dry treats like biscuits)
And then it’s easy:
- Take your base and places treats in some off the holes. You van change up the amount of treats and their locations each to make it more challenging.
- Let your dog watch when you place the treats…. or place them first and then just lift one of the balls to show him/her that there are yums in this thing.
- Allow your to go to the puzzle.
- If you’re dog struggles at first, remove and replace each item so that he/she can see that it comes out.
I’ve uploaded a video of Gabi playing with her puzzles to youtube.